Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Our New Ride

Yesterday we bought a van.

A modified van that Jeff can drive into through the automatic ramp that opens out the back door.

The van is awesome.

It's something we've known we wanted for several months. And it COULD NOT have happened without the generosity of others.

Shortly after Jeff's injury, our friends and family began fundraising for us. While I was grief-stricken over the accident, trying to make sense of the chaos my family had been thrown into, others were rallying and donating to our cause. They knew we were going to need help financially if we were going to make it through this.

We continue to be so thankful and overwhelmed in a good way by the generosity of others. Even though this horrible thing has happened to our family, in the wake of it, we have experienced an influx of giving from friends, family, and perfect strangers. It has restored our faith in humanity. Truly.

Here it is. Our new-to-us 2011 Toyota Sienna.


It's a pretty sweet ride.

We took it for a drive around the block today.

Don't worry - we were still in the driveway here.

Evie is super excited that she gets to sit next to Daddy now in the car!

I'll tell you a secret ...

Jeff has always wanted a mini van.

I'm not kidding.

When we leased my Hyundai Santa Fe early last year, he tried to talk me into getting a mini van. And this wasn't his first attempt.

I couldn't justify it seeing as that we only have one kid and don't travel all that much.

I used to catch him looking at mini van interiors online, and he would show me how all the seats would re-configure so you could haul bikes, a wagon, plants from Home Depot ... anything really. Plus he always said mini vans were "undercover" and "fast as hell."

Oh how I wish he could drive this.

Instead, he'll have to settle for the role of backseat driver.

Yesterday evening as we were looking at our new van in our driveway, I said to him, "Here you go, Daddy. You finally got your mini van."

He wheeled his chair around to go back up the path into the house, and said, "Yep. One way or another."


2 comments:

  1. This is such a nice story! Jeff must be very happy that you got a new van. You even had it customized for him! It must be very exciting, not just for Jeff, but for the entire family. I hope you guys have fun in your trips with this new van! Take care!

    Rhonda Burgess @ Bob Dunn Hyundai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that Jeff finally got his dream car. I love how spacious it is. The entire family seems to fit perfectly fine, and it seems like Jeff is really enjoying every time he spends with it. I know you don't travel much, but I'm pretty sure the family won't be able to resist traveling, now that you have that van. Thanks for sharing that! All the best!

    Colin Morton @ SeaPort Auto

    ReplyDelete